August 4, 2008

Look at Me! I'm Brushing My Teeth!



So, since Carter got his first two bottom teeth, Steve and I have been meaning to begin brushing his teeth. However, I kept forgetting to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste for him. Every once in awhile, I would remember to wipe his teeth down with a cloth or gauze pad, but not very often. It took Carter getting three more teeth on the top, at the same time (of course) for us to get on the ball and buy a toothbrush.


I have heard many stories about little ones hating their teeth being brushed. Carter definitely has an opinion of his own, and if he doesn't want to do something, he will make if very difficult to make it happen. So, I was very curious how he would react to having someone stick something in this mouth, move it around, and expect him to sit still (which doesn't happen at all these days).



At first, I let Carter explore the toothbrush and play with it. Then, once the toothpaste was on the toothbrush, I told him to "open" (a word used to get him to try something new, like food) and he opened his mouth right up. He sat there for at least 30 seconds, a miracle, and let me brush all his teeth! He actually enjoyed it! Lastly, I let him brush his teeth on his own. Of course, he just chews on the toothbrush for a little bit. When he was done, he handed the toothbrush back to me. We have no problems at all brushing his teeth every night.




He has always loved watching Steve and I brush our teeth. Maybe he was so excited he got to do it on his own that he didn't mind. Whatever the reason, I hope this love of brushing teeth continues...










No comments: